Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pseudo-live Blogging - VBAC conference

I've decided that during my kids' spring break I'm trying to watch the entire NIH Consensus Development Conference on VBACthat happened in Bethesda, MD March 8-10.  This conference is one of those important policy influencing events in which doctors, midwives, epidemiologists, lay birth professionals and consumers get togther and lay out personal experience, scientific research and policy decisions that influence important health outcomes.  Several years ago, while still living in Maryland I had the chance to attend a "State of the Science" conference put on by the same office.

What came after the conference, as came after this one, was a draft position statement that sounded rather benign and exploratory but was in fact quite controversial.  If I hadn't been in the room with the people directing the conference, it would have been hard for me to understand just how rigged the whole game had been.  So, I decided that even though I can read the draft statement for the VBAC conference quite easily, I would be missing something crucial not to watch as much of the actual event as possible.  Fortunately the whole thing is webcast and archived at the link above so if you were so inspired, you could watch too.

I am also finding the whole thing a thrilling challenge to my public health professional's brain - I am surprised at how much I am enjoying the talk about developing models to predict individual women's odds of VBAC success.  The whole thing is biostats and taking population-based knowns and translating them into something that will impact individually-based unknowns.

I have heard that there are many tear-jerking stories from women and providers about VBACs denied and I imagine it will evoke some of my own professional memory.  I have seen women bullied into primary cesareans, tricked out of VBACs and mis-managed all the way to the OR.  I don't have a good-guys V bad guys mentality, and I do honestly think that the nurses and doctors who's views on birth are so divergent from my own still have their patient's best interests at heart.  But I have seen flawed people act badly toward innocent women and even though I acknowledge that that doesn't make them bad guys, it is still hurtful to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment