Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pseudo-live Blogging - Cringe

I remember at the last NIH conference how hard it was for me to listen to my non-scientific birthing community colleagues rail at the deaf (or at least hard of hearing) ears of the researchers who had planned and were running the conference.  I'm cringing again while I watch the first participant comment opportunity.

It isn't that the researchers are bad guys (there that is again) it is just that they are dealing with the issues of VBAC in such a different way from the birthing community that they barely speak the same language, are barely talking about the same subject.

I wish there were more public health doulas & folks like my friend Judith (she was on the VBAC conference planning committee) who could advocate for women's rights in ways the researchers and scientists can understand.

Maybe after my kids go to college, I'll take that one on too.

No comments:

Post a Comment